PHOTO SHOP OR NOT?, FULL BODIED MODELS OR NOT?.. JUST WHINGE AND WHINE, WHINGE AND WHINE.. THAT'S ALL EVERYONE IS GOOD AT!

My oh my.... the last few days has been a complete media war of words against the design giant Ralph Lauren.. and their supposedly 'photo shopped, over altered... over dramatised' latest fashion shoot campaign of model Filipa Hamilton. ( OK in one breath... now I can breath.).

It was very amusing indeed to listen and read the bantering of back and forth opinions over this latest photo shopping scandal.. oohhh how society and dramatic fashion lovers love a little scandal.xoxo ( similar to that of a fashion soap opera...).

As always.. the fashion critic queen will not put forth her critic tongue until after the 'fuss and pomp' has been dealt with. So after a few Chinks of the champers.... my critic tongue has this to say:...

What exactly is all the back lash and fuss really all about??? are we kicking up a stink over the model and the extremely thin waist and legs????? or are we whingeing and wining about 'photo shopping' going to0 far??? or is it that we just want to pick on Ralph Lauren????.. Probably all of the above.

Personally swearing upon my Estee Lauder Mascara Wand ( yes... I luv it to death...), I would not say I am a passionate supporter of photo shopping... but definately I do not oppose of it. Nor do I favour the whole debate of using the whole 'healthy/ natural full bodied, larger than life' models on fashion runways and showcases.

Yes fashionista's.. you heard me!... I stand true and correct in saying... I don't really think the whole 'natural full bodied' concept will work whole heartedly. I am not ostracising against the natural beauty of these women.. but honestly.. when I think of fashion showcasing/ shows and launches.. I picture something out of the ordinary.. almost like a muse like fantasy... I want to see muse like models sashaying down runways... because after all they are the canvas to the artwork.

The whole debate of utilising the natural full bodied canvas.. doesn't sit entirely well with me. If this was the case.. then I may as well pull out any Jane, Kate and Sarah off the streets and stage a showcasing of my own in my back yard.. that's how plain Jane the concept would be. ( But do not make the assumption that I do not agree with sending out the correct message for the tweens to have good role models). We just have to learn how to seperate fact from fiction.. fantasy from reality.. commonsense from stupidity!

Before I receive any back lashing or back tongue comments on my belief... let me just tip toe on my Gary Castles and declare at the top of my lungs...." I am not launching a hate campaign'... I am merely voicing my critic tongue. Enough with the whole back and forth debate about placing full lush bodied natural beauty things on the runway...... I'm sorry.. but I personally like what I already see on the catwalk! Admit it, most savvy fashionista's want all the fanfare.... and glamorous looks anyway.

Why are models called models????? I'll tell you why, it's because they do not necessarily look like the rest. They are suppose to have a seperate identity from the norm ( in the looks and beauty department), or how else can they display the fashion artwork in fine and interesting form?. ( Moi is not saying banish all full bodied natural model shows... am just merely stating that it will take a very long time for the fash pack to revolve to this stage..).

This does not say that no one else is ready an able to sashay down their own living room in what Catherine McNeil or Miranda Kerr has just worn.... To me it, it just says .. 'hey look Catherine McNeil wears it like this... and Miranda Kerr wears it like that... but most importantly of all, I... can wear it like this!' ( It's called fashion confidence darling... having it is beautiful indeed!!!).


Excuse me while I take a breather...( hmmm a spritz of organic spray). Back to the original topic.. ( apologies for the slight side tracking). I personally do find the image of Filipa Hamilton too 'touched' up.. and yes the 'photo shopper... assistant probably had his/ her finger on the 'make the waist smaller' button, on for longer than 20 seconds.

Everybody... please just take a second to think.... this is all great publicity for the designer label house giant RL.. and of course for the muse model. And yes.. I myself will be adding that few cents worth of publicity for them through this critic tongue segment.

Just chill people's...... the image is done.. has been leaked.. we've all had our five cents worth of a mouthful. So let's move on... and stop fighting for the right to cease airbrushing or photo shopping. I personally believe in 'light touch ups or corrections'... but of course not 'body distortion'.

P.S. My fashion disclaimer: My fashion critic tongue is not against full bodied canvas individuals.. nor am I claiming to be 'for' the 'stick thin canvas'.... my happy medium is..... to keep what we have already on the runway.. no more changes please.. I'm quite content with the McNeils, Kerrs and Wards...... mwah.

Style rating: Photo shopping on the Ralph Lauren campaign - Standing up to leave.( I'm bored) can we talk about something else?


Love me or hate me,


Madam Alexandra E.
fashion critic.fashion expert.fashion queen