YOUNG DESIGNERS MARKET:...My Expectation Was Too High.

www.southbankmarket.com.au

It has been a few years since I made my way back to YDM.. (Young Designers Market - Southbank). The first time being, when they first launched... my thoughts back then???... it was a dismal receiving from the public...., but I quickly blamed that on the fact that it was new, it was the first day, and people are a little bit hesitant to try out 'new concepts', without any real word of mouth testimonials.

Back when Ydm first arrived...the stalls would have only been a small handful.. and there would have been only one impressive stall ( Koji tami) at the time, every other fashion offering was your little knick knack stuff.

Fast forward the years.......>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>, and I thought I would make my way back.. and trek through what might be on offer today...xo. So armed with my 'brella' ( yes, the weather was slightly drab), strapped on my flats, and took along a girlfriend to what I had hoped would have been a changed Ydm... market.

My verdict???... Ydm.. was exactly the same as it was back in the day. Unfortunately, the stalls were still only a handful. Many of the fashion offerings had potential indeed.. but for some reason.. the lack lustre in the way the market was.. really killed the experience for me. .( unlike it's sister market lively taking place a few yards down - Southbank Lifestyle Market).

A few labels caught my eye, to my delight MaryMary was nicely set up as was also Akko. But other than that.. everything appeared very arts and crafts, and not at all what I hoped to be attending to, ( you could possibly blame it on me.. for having 'high expectations')

I witnessed the still ever present 'type singlets' ( the ones where the designer has purchased a bonds singlet and whole heartily decorated it) embellished, swirled and painted on... All I have to say.. ..: please.. these singlets are so 'YESTERDAY'...

YDM?... maybe just stick with the ever popular lifestyle market... something really needs to save this little concept! xoxo.

Style rateing: Young Designers Market - 'Yawning' ( I am utterly bored).

Love me or hate me

Madam Alexandra E. (k)